I'm home again after another chemo treatment. My nurse this time called one of the chemo meds "Red Devil." The name is appropriate for more reasons than the color. But at least now I only have 1 more round of FEC before I'm done with that nasty stuff. :-D
That's the good news. The bad news is: I found out Monday from my doctor that I have to continue getting the medicine Herceptin every three weeks until the first of April, 2013. Luckily, Herceptin has very few side effects. For example, I'll be able to grow back my hair during treatments (yay!).
The news was a little disheartening, however. As much as I like all the nurses in the infusion center, I was really looking forward to seeing the last of that place next time. When you're done with chemo, the nurses sing a song to you to the tune of Happy Birthday: "Congratulations to you; your chemotherapy is through!" I was hoping to soon be the recipient of that song, but now I'll have to wait several more months.
Speaking of endurance, I met another patient briefly who hands out candy to everyone whenever he has a treatment. I thought that was great, that in the midst of his trial he still finds a way to brighten other people's day. Then I read the back of his T-shirt as he walked away. It said something like "incurable, but not defeated." I was amazed that he could maintain such a cheerful and positive attitude. It must take a lot of strength to face indefinite cancer treatments. I don't think I could do it. Talk about a marathon!
As for me, I have faith that I will see the end of cancer--hopefully around next April! I'm counting down the days until the moment I can say: "I'm cured, and I'm a survivor!"
Wednesday, August 1, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment