Monday, July 23, 2012

Making Up for Lost Hair

I haven't written about hair for awhile, so I figured it was high time I again touched on this important side effect ;-), especially since I've recently experienced a change.

My hair didn't stand a chance against the big guns.  While I was on abraxane, it never really stopped growing.  I had to shave my head every couple of weeks or so.  No longer. (pun intended)  In fact, recently, my eyebrows and eyelashes have all fallen out.  This gives me that "chemo eyes" look everyone associates with cancer.  I have an even harder time looking at myself in the mirror these days.

To combat the mirror blues, I decided I'd better start wearing makeup every day, even when I don't expect anyone outside my family to see me.  Drawing eyebrows on is something I've never had to do before.  It is a tricky business.  Sometimes I look like a lopsided Groucho Marx.  But maybe I'll get the hang of it by the time my eyebrows begin to grow back in a couple of months.

I also tried fake eyelashes without much success.  I never could get them to glue on right so they weren't poking me in the eye.  So, I finally settled for painting a dark line on the lid with eyeliner and calling it good.  Steve said he can't tell I don't have lashes unless he looks at me from the side.  So, as long as I make an effort to face people head-on, they won't notice, right?

I guess the long and short of it is: I just need to stop worrying so much about how I look, and enjoy life.  I'm in the good part of my cycle now, so I'm doing more and getting out more often.  That's a real morale-booster.  It's also nice to be able to take back some of my responsibilities around the house, like fixing meals and doing laundry.  (Gasp!)  I never thought I'd say that about household chores!

2 comments:

  1. One of my colleagues doesn't grow any hair, and she paints on her eyebrows and does the eyeliner line like you said.... it works well. I don't even notice that she doesn't have hair on her face these days - people get used to the way you look and then it is not strange. Hopefully that will be the case for you, too! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least I don't paint an orange line over each brow like my typing teacher did in eighth grade. Steve told me last night my painted-on brows look very natural. That's good, since Megan told me this morning I look like a weird "monster" without makeup! Kids are so honest!

    ReplyDelete