Tuesday, July 10, 2012

"We Have a Pill for That" or "The Side Effect Chain"

I successfully made it through another chemo treatment--and Steve didn't even have to use his rope (although he threatened).  My doctors--I have 2 now--were very interested in my struggle with side effects last time and gave me advice for how to use the right pills to counter them better.

I've said several times that I feel like a walking pharmacy.  I get these strong medicines that cause awful side effects (like nausea), so they give me pills to counter those side effects.  Guess what?  Those pills have side effects too!  (Like heartburn)  So, I need more pills to counter those side effects . . . and so on and so forth.  For someone who doesn't really like to take a lot of medicine, it's a dizzying Domino effect.

But I have to admit that I'm feeling better today after following the doctor's advice--taking my pills more often, adding a couple to my regime.  Hopefully, I can avoid some of the misery of last time.  And now I only have to do this twice more.  Hurray!

P.S.  I'll give a travelogue of my vacation in my next entry.  :-)

2 comments: