I've reached another milestone: I am now finished with my last FEC treatment. Hurray! The nurses at the infusion center even sang me the coveted song (see earlier posts) and gave me a blanket and a certificate of completion. It was awesome! So now, as I experience each FEC symptom, I get to think, "This is the last time I have to do this!"
On to the next phase of treatment, which is surgery. We met with the surgeon just a couple of days ago. With cancer, there is simply no waiting if you want to beat it. Even though the chemo treatments have reduced the tumor to practically nothing, and my body has responded so well, the cancer will come back with a vengeance if preventive measures aren't promptly taken, which is why surgery is necessary. So, they've scheduled me as soon as they can: September 24th. I'll be in the hospital for a couple of days, then with my parents for a couple of days before I'll be able to go home.
When I was first diagnosed, I was terrified of surgery. It was a huge relief for me to find out that I'd get chemo first. Now that I've experienced some of the more unpleasant effects of chemo, I find my fear of surgery has nearly disappeared. I'm ready to take it on and get it over with. I think I'll recover well. So far, my body has responded impressively to treatments, and I trust that it will continue to do so. The Lord has truly blessed me, and I see His hand in so many ways, helping me get through this.
I'm so grateful for all of the prayers everyone has sent up on my behalf! I know they are answered, and I've felt their strength. So, thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. They mean a lot to me and my family.
Thursday, August 23, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Shauna!!!! This post makes me so happy!!! Yay that you're done with Chemo, Yay that the tumor has shrunk so much, Yay that you're geared up and ready for surgery!! Good Luck with everything. We love you guys so much!!!!!
ReplyDelete