Before I had cancer, chemo treatment conjured up images of bald women constantly hanging over the toilet because they can't keep down their breakfast. Not a pretty picture, I admit. Well, I've had the bald part down from the start, but I thought I'd dodged the upset stomach bullet. Until now.
This week, I discovered just how good I had it with my old chemo regime. Not that I've been hanging over the toilet--I've been popping pills like a maniac to keep myself from that unpleasant activity--but my stomach still makes its misery known. Actually, it's been a lot like the first trimester of pregnancy, except I have no bundle of joy to look forward to at the end of this ordeal.
With the new regime, I'm also fighting a greater fatigue than I've had before. Shopping for clothes the other day required me to constantly stop and rest my arms. I felt like I was lifting weights, just from pushing clothes on the rack and trying on shirts.
And then there are the body temperature issues. One minute, I'm freezing and huddled in blankets; the next minute I'm broiling hot, throwing off my hat and blanket to get some air. But, I guess you can't expect to get hit with the big guns and walk away unscathed.
My biggest worry is: how in the world will I get myself to go to the next treatment?! Every time I think about it, I want to pitch a world-class temper tantrum. Steve said he might have to hog-tie me to get me up there.
The only bright spot is that I don't have to place myself in the line of fire again for 3 weeks. Maybe by then, I'll be able to work up my courage enough that Steve can leave his rope at home.
Thursday, June 21, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ha ha- that conjured up a hilarious image of Steve tying you up and hoisting you over his shoulder potato-sack-style to put you in the car. Sometimes I wish it were OK for adults to throw temper tantrums. We have more reasons to than kids. Darn societal expectations and impulse control! (:
ReplyDeleteYou're awesome!! You are stronger than you know, and we ALL look up to you!
ReplyDelete