Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Gratitude

For those who haven't gone through chemo treatments, it conjures up images of hanging over the toilet and constantly lying in bed.  I know I thought that's what it would be like, before I was diagnosed.  But I have discovered that I am not, in fact, on death's doorstep.  Now that things have settled into a routine, and the shock is starting to wear off, life continues pretty much as normal (except for having to take a nap every day and traveling up north each week).  I can still handle laundry, meals, and even cleaning the house most of the time.  I feel really blessed, because I know that isn't the case with everyone who goes through cancer treatments.

Last night, I read through the blog of a woman who went through breast cancer just 2 years ago.  She had to endure a lot of difficulty with her chemo treatments: pain, and extreme fatigue, among other things.  I realized how easy I've got it.  There's no room for me to complain.  I don't know why I have less to endure than others--probably because I'm not as strong as they are, and I would break under the pressure--but I'm so glad the Lord has made my burden light.

Of course, that doesn't mean things won't get harder as we continue the fight against cancer.  (I am definitely NOT looking forward to surgery, but I just put it on the back burner of my mind and focus on the here and now.)  I'm grateful for the things I can still do.  I'm grateful to be with my kids as much as possible.  I'm grateful for the family members who've done so much to help and support us at this time, and for all the friends who have brought meals and been concerned for us.  It really helps, knowing that we are in so many prayers.  And those prayers are being answered!

1 comment:

  1. Likewise, we are grateful to have the chance to see you (Shauna) each week... and look forward to having you and Steve, and sometimes the kids with us for dinner Sunday evenings. It's even fun, for me at least, to see you have the same "hair do" you had when the photo was taken on our lawn in Panama when you were about a year and a half old. (check my Facebook website photo timeline.)

    ReplyDelete