Wednesday, April 11, 2012

In Your Easter Bonnet

Last weekend, my family surprised me with an awesome hat party--just in time for Easter and my birthday.  My 9 year old got the idea from the book Our Mom Has Cancer and my mother-in-law helped the kids plan it.  They did a fantastic job!

There were probably 14 ladies and girls there, all family.  They yelled "Surprise!" as I came in.  I had to fight off the tears.  Everyone wore a hat except me, but that was soon remedied.  It was a little strange for me, being the center of attention.  I usually like to fade into the background in a crowd. 

We played "Musical Hats" and "Toss Your Hat Onto the Ring."  For refreshments, we had fresh fruit kabobs and a beautiful hat cake my kids made and decorated.  I was so impressed with all the work my kids did to make the party a success!  And I was grateful to my mother-in-law for spearheading the project and putting so much work into it herself on a weekend that was full of lots of other activities for her.

I received 12 hats at the party.  It was so great to have so many of my family there!  My mother and sister drove about 5 hours just to attend.  Everyone has been so kind to me as I go through this experience!  I can never express how grateful I am for the services and kindnesses that have been shown to me and my family so far.

My hat party came none too soon, as I discovered just 2 days later that my hair was starting to fall out.  But thanks to the party, I don't feel so bad about it.  I'm actually excited to start wearing hats and scarves this week.  I wore my first hat on Sunday for Easter.  It matched my dress perfectly.  I think I was the only person wearing a hat in the whole congregation, but I didn't mind.  Someone commented I looked like British royalty in my Easter Bonnet.  I felt very bright and full of spring.  It was a good feeling.

1 comment:

  1. You looked so pretty on Sunday! I'm happy you're doing this blog. Love you Shauna!!

    ReplyDelete