Friday, May 4, 2012

The Hair Saga

I know all I ever write about is my hair . . . or the lack thereof.  But, it's the only visible side effect I've had from chemo thus far (other than being tired, and what can you say about that?).  So, here's the next chapter in the Hair Saga:

It finds our heroine (that would be me), completely and utterly LOSING IT!  Yes, folks, I have no hair on my head anymore . . . well, very little, anyway.  It hasn't all fallen out, but it was getting obnoxious to find hair everywhere when I showered, even my short "buzzed" hair.  Plus, my head was sore and the short wiry hair I had made it hurt worse.  So, about 2 weeks ago, I asked Steve to shave it off.

We quickly found out why my head hurt: it was covered in little sores.  I looked like the victim of a small pox epidemic.  When I contacted the doctor about it, he put me on an antibiotic.

The problem is called folliculitis.  It occurs when your hair falls out and the hair follicles get infected.  After the doctor examined it this week, he didn't seem to think it was too bad, so we'll wait and see if it clears up.

In the meantime, it doesn't bother me much--it just looks horrible.  But, hey, who am I trying to impress with a bald head anyway?  Captain Decker? (From the first Star Trek movie.)  I haven't even let my kids see me with a bare head since I shaved it.  Some things are just better kept under wraps.

4 comments:

  1. Too bad - I didn't know about this side effect. Thank goodness for scarves, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And hats . . . given at my hat party! Everybody always compliments me at treatments on my cute hats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the boxer look, works fine for you. Glad to hear going well.

    ReplyDelete