Sunday, July 28, 2013

The Final Hurdle

This week, I round the bend and make a dash down the home stretch in my race with cancer. There's only one hurdle left to block the way. My reconstruction surgery is scheduled for this Wednesday, July 31st. It will be a doozy. The doctor said I would be in the hospital for 5 or 6 days. Then, I'll probably spend another week "up north" until I'm well enough to travel home. I hope I don't miss my baby's first day of kindergarten!

In recent months, my life has been so crazily normal, that it will be a shock to be down-and-out once again. But I look to the big picture. After this surgery, I will be done with cancer related procedures (not counting check-ups) for the foreseeable future.  Life will truly be normal again . . .  at least until the next challenge presents itself. In life, we are never free from trouble for very long.

But in spite of the discomfort and anxiety, dealing with trouble helps us learn and grow and become stronger people than we were before. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: my fight with cancer has made me a stronger person, and I'm grateful for that. I have courage to do things now that I never would have considered before. For example, did you know that I am starting a publishing company? Soon, Steve won't be the only entrepreneur in our family.

I spent last week with some extended family I haven't seen in years. It was so good to be around them again and get re-acquainted! One of my brothers hasn't seen me since last summer, when I was going through the worst of my cancer treatments. He commented on how much better I look now: healthier and happier. Apparently, having hair makes a positive difference. ;-)  I heard similar comments from others who had seen me at my worst and compared it to now. It reminded me that no matter what trials we might go through, we can be strong enough to make it to the end of them.

Several years ago, I sang a song at a dear friend's funeral, that I have now proven to be true in my own life:


When you walk through a storm
Keep your chin up high
And don't be afraid of the dark.
At the end of the storm
Is a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of a lark.

Walk on through the wind,
Walk on through the rain,
Tho' your dreams be tossed and blown.
Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone,
You'll never walk alone!
 --Rodgers & Hammerstein


Here's hoping we all make it to the golden sky at the end of our storms!

No comments:

Post a Comment