Sunday, November 25, 2012

Giving Thanks

My carpet of fuzzy grey hair.
On Thanksgiving Day this year, I got the brilliant idea to have the kids make a count-down chain for Christmas with everyone in our family writing something on a link that they're thankful for.  However, I forgot to add one item I'm thankful for: hair!  It's growing back, and I am so thankful!  Maybe by Christmas, I'll dare to walk around without a hat.

There are many more serious things for me to be thankful for this year, not the least of which is the treatments that have allowed me to remain on earth with my family a little longer.  My kids have been incredible, the way they've held up throughout this whole ordeal.  My husband has been absolutely amazing, juggling family and work, especially when I'm not there.  My in-laws are fantastic, taking care of my kids when I can't.  I'm especially grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ, which makes it possible for me to be with my family forever.

Some "city fun" at Fat Cats.

As my family prepared to drive back home this weekend, everybody was loaded in the car except Megan.  I went in search of her and found her crying in the basement, sure she'd been left behind.  I told her that her family would never desert her.  Even if somehow they did, she would get to stay with me all week long.  That cheered her up, and she happily climbed into the truck.

It's tough to watch your family drive away without you.  It made me think how very important it is for me to live my life in a righteous way so that I can be with them for all eternity.  I don't want any of us to get permanently left behind.  I'm so glad that I only have to wait 5 days before I get to see them all again.

I've been living "up north" now for a couple of weeks.  It's fun, but much more quiet (and lonelier) than I'm used to.  It hasn't been quiet this week, however, with the Thanksgiving holiday and all my family around me the entire week.


Steve carved up the turkey.
Rachel organized the kids for an awesome Thanksgiving theatrical debut.
Aunt Nellie is always a big hit with the kids.  She was the life of the party with her marshmallows and hot chocolate.
Rachel obediently made signs for the various dishes (this one is stuffing) . . . doing it HER way, of course.
Steve and I were in charge of pies this year.  They were yummy--even if I do say so myself.

My radiation treatments are going very well.  I can't feel a thing when I get a treatment: I just have to take the technician's word for it that the buzzing noise means I'm getting radiated.  So far, I haven't had any side effects, either.  Every other time I go, they drape a fancy sparkling cloth over me so that the machine will deliver the radiation closer to the skin surface.  I told them I feel like a knight in shining armor when I get to wear my "mithril" mail (for Hobbit fans).

I'll be in residence here for about 2 more weeks, until December 7th (at which time I will beat a hasty retreat for home).  Until then, I sing "I'll Be Home for Christmas" in my heart.

We got in a round of black-light mini-golf.  One of my favorite activities!
Fighting off a ferocious dinosaur.

Man-eating whale on the loose!
The adults all got wooped by my "baby" sister--who toted her year-old baby on her back the whole time!


No comments:

Post a Comment